The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Federal Register, HHS § 405.2110 to 405.2113, cites the ESRD Network responsibilities regarding formulation of Network-specific goals and the dialysis facility’s responsibility toward meeting them. As directed by the Network Council and Medical Review Board, performance goals have been set that every dialysis facility is expected to achieve. The State Survey Agencies utilize Network goals and initiatives as a guideline during their evaluation process.
In keeping with the legislative mandate for the ESRD Network program, the strategic goals of IPRO ESRD Network of New England are to:
- Improve the quality and safety of dialysis related services provided for individuals with ESRD.
- Improve independence and quality of life of individuals through use of self-care modalities (such as transplantation, peritoneal dialysis, home hemodialysis), and self-directed care, as appropriate, through the end of life.
- Improve patient perception of care and experience of care and resolution of patient’s complaints and grievances.
- Improve the individuals with ESRD rate of transplantation and use of self-care and self-directed modalities, when medically appropriate in order to ensure patients achieve the maximum level of rehabilitation and independence possible.
- Improve collaboration with providers to ensure achievement of the goals.
- Improve the collection, reliability, timeliness, and use of data to measure processes of care, outcomes, and to support the ESRD Network program.
The Network shall achieve these goals through the development and implementation of the work requirements outlined in annual goals.